Legal services tailored to sport, designed for winning
The sports industry is diverse, complex and competitive. Our experienced and knowledgeable lawyers have the capabilities to provide advice on a range of legal, commercial and regulatory issues affecting those working and playing in the sports industry.
Our clients range from multinational sports brands, high profile football clubs and managing agents to local sports clubs, organisations and national governing bodies. We are very much focused on the business-end of sport, but often act for professional athletes as well.
Our expertise and reputation is demonstrated by our ever increasing client list, and we have developed particular specialisms across a range of different sports including; boxing, golf, football, rugby, cricket and darts.
Our sports team is ranked in the 2016 edition of the Legal 500.
- Sports Regulation, Governance & Administration
- Sports Data Protection, Audit & Compliance
- Sports Technology, Digital and Media
- Sponsorship & Commercial Rights
- Intellectual Property Management & Brand Protection
- Property Management and Telecoms
Recent Examples of Work:
- Acted on behalf of a well-known brand in relation to a long term commercial rights deal with a Premiership Football Club.
- Acted for a sports governing body in relation to software development, services and data licensing agreements. Including advice in relation to processes for GDPR/data protection compliance.
- Acted for the commercial arm of a professional sports governing body in respect of their promotional and events management requirements including a major international tournament and various commercial arrangements with sponsors, athletes and major television channel provider.
- Acted for one of Yorkshire’s oldest and largest golf clubs advising on commercial, governance and compliance issues including its application, management and development of its consumer credit arrangements for their membership revenue generation and FCA regulatory compliance.
- Acted for a global sports digital, marketing and PR agency in respect of a long term partnership deal for the provision of website revenue generation.
- Acted on behalf of two Championship football clubs in respect of ground breaking group litigation action regarding an attempted network consolidation by two major telecoms operators, successfully securing long term income for our clients.
- Acted on behalf of sports technology supplier and operator of digital out-of-home advertising and interactive digital marketing solutions at sports grounds and stadiums.
Our intellectual property and commercial litigation team acted for one of the world’s leading sports memorabilia companies providing advice in respect of its intellectual property and licensing requirements across its global supply and distribution chain and the negotiation of a favourable settlement with a Premiership football club relating to a dispute.
- Acted on behalf of a sports tech and clothing manufacturer in respect of trade mark litigation and advising on its commercial impact on its UK and European customer base.
- We currently provide award winning debt collection services to global sports brands and sports technology companies in the golf and digital sectors.
Please click here to view our Digital Economy Act 2017: A Knockout Blow for Touts? article