Mark specialises in IT, contracts and projects, negotiating complex commercial agreements and procurement matters. Mark was named 'Data Protection Lawyer of the Year' at the Finance Monthly FinTech Awards 2017.
Mark has over 20 years’ experience in legal practice, working in support of commercial and public sector organisations including many large national and international businesses. Mark has a reputation for reducing complex problems to easily-digestible solutions. He is recommended in the Legal 500 directory.
Mark’s commercial and technology experience is considerable. Recent work includes:
- Outsource warehousing, technology and logistics negotiation and agreements for several national businesses;
- Software development integration and hosting agreements for national financial services and health plan businesses;
- Master service agreements and reseller documentation for wealth management software systems;
- Facilities management and services tendering and contract documentation for an international retail business;
- Advice to public and publicly-funded bodies on procurement and state aid aspects of major developments to support complex commercial property transactions with Andrew Latchmore, a senior lawyer in Shulmans' real estate team;
- Lead role in the legal work input to the FCA skilled persons review alongside national accounting and advisory practices.
Mark is acknowledged as “an excellent and pragmatic negotiator”; one leading Counsel has commented that Mark was “the best negotiator” he knew.
Mark has particular knowledge and experience in:
- Providing simple and effective guidance and training to assist organisations’ build-up or continue to support their internal legal and contract management capability on a cost-effective basis;
- Undertaking complex commercial and technology projects in the manufacturing, distribution, financial services and technology sectors, as well as supporting day-to-day routine contract and procurement requirements;
- Dealing with the financial services regulatory environment relating to commercial transactions including FCA requirements, anti-bribery, money laundering and PCI DSS personal data rules;
- Designing and drafting tender and contract/business process management systems and effective business process documents to deliver value, cost saving and control for clients;
- Assisting clients to understand risk and reputational issue management; Mark has a calm and experienced approach to dealing with particularly sensitive or urgent matters;
- Leading and participating in wider professional multi-disciplinary teams to deliver commercial solutions for clients across multiple jurisdictions, from complex projects to day-to-day overflow support for busy in-house departments.
Underpinning Mark’s ability to resolve complex commercial issues is a personal commitment to ongoing academic and professional development. Mark holds an LLM in Business Law as a second degree and is the trustee of the Society for Computers and Law.
Mark is a member of:
- the Law Society Competition Section;
- the Procurement Lawyers Association.