Maria obtained her law degree from Leeds Metropolitan University, and completed the Legal Practice Course (LPC) at Leeds Law School.
Maria joined Shulmans as a Paralegal in 2014, working in the Commercial Property team.
In March 2016, Maria started her training contract with the firm, and qualified as a Solicitor in November 2017, her time as a Paralegal counting as part of her training.
Maria deals with construction contentious and non-contentious matters.
Non-contentious work examples:
- Negotiating and advising employers and contractors on construction procurement documentation, including a standard industry contract and bespoke form of construction contracts for a variety of single and mixed-use construction projects such as retail parks, hotel schemes, student accommodation, retail and leisure facilities, city council offices, care homes, office, residential schemes and industrial premises.
- Advising the clients on procurement strategies, assessing the risk management on low and high value projects including £50m mixed-use development.
- Providing ongoing support to the client to ensure that the right contractual arrangements are in place from the start of projects.
- Reviewing tender documentation, suit of construction documents, bonds and guarantees and advising the client on schemes that involve banks and investment.
- Carrying out due diligence of the construction documents for the funder and preparing a report.
Contentious work examples:
- High Court and County Court proceedings including Technology and Construction Court cases which involve a successful £27m final account claim disputed by the main contractor, Galliford Try Infrastructure. The sub-contract included the Structural Steelwork including associated design work and roof and wall cladding, again including associated design. The works were carried out at the Petrofac oil and gas plant, Sullom Voe, Shetland. The claim related to change order and approximately 1000 variations which increased the contract sum.
- Various claims relating to defective roof works, structural defects, enforcement of the adjudicator’s decision, unlawful termination and various payment disputes.
- Alternative dispute resolution including mediation, expert determination and structured negotiations.
- Various hospital disputes relating to design, erection and completion of a hospital as well as non-compliance with the Fire Strategy.