Joe Gosling is a solicitor in the Commercial team, specialising in commercial, IT/technology, data protection and intellectual property matters.
Joe was retained by Shulmans in 2018 at the end of his solicitor training contract and provides significant commercial value to clients. Having spent time living on three different continents, Joe advises clients domestically and internationally, on a range of legal and commercial issues.
Joe focuses on non-contentious work, including the drafting and negotiation of a wide variety of commercial contracts and advising on a range of data protection issues, including subject access requests, personal data breaches, data protection impact assessments and providing legal support to data protection officers or those individuals in organisations who are responsible for data protection.
In addition, Joe has a particular interest in information technology contracts and intellectual property, including brand and technology exploitation and protection.
Joe’s experience includes supporting clients in the following areas:
- Preparing standard form documents for businesses, for example standard terms of sale, standard terms of purchase, confidentiality agreements, software licence terms and services agreements;
- Drafting documentation for more bespoke arrangements such as outsourcing agreements, framework supply agreements, data sharing agreements and IT procurements;
- Reviewing terms provided by a third party in order to give clients a view on the level of risk posed, or in advance of more detailed negotiations;
- Assisting with contract negotiations, including negotiating on behalf of clients and providing behind the scenes support for negotiations carried out by clients;
- Advising on new products and services, including advice on the contractual arrangements which need to be put in place to support the offering, IP protection, the terms on which the product or service is made available to end users and associated data protection issues;
- Advising on data protection issues, including carrying out data protection audits, advising on subject access requests and data breaches and drafting data processing and data sharing agreements;
- Advising on agreements with international aspects such as international supply, distribution and agency agreements.
Clients have praised Joe for his “intelligence, self-motivation, forward-thinking approach and willingness to go above and beyond to achieve exceptional results” and he is known amongst clients and colleagues alike for his pragmatic and friendly approach.
Joe mentors a number of students at local law schools and through the Social Mobility Foundation, which is a charity that exists to support high-achieving young people from low-income backgrounds into top universities and professions. He also leads the firm’s relationship with Ad:VENTURE, a European Regional Development Fund initiative that helps support young businesses in the Leeds City Region.