Head of Commercial
Emma Roe is a partner heading up the Commercial team. Emma has particular expertise in commercial contracts, intellectual property rights and technology matters, advising clients nationally and internationally.
Emma has wide-ranging experience advising clients, leading complex negotiations and drafting documents across all manner of commercial and contractual issues including IT, brand and technology exploitation, sponsorship and partnering arrangements, R&D relationships and joint ventures, intellectual property licensing, outsourcing, manufacturing and supply agreements as well as distribution and agency contracts.
Emma’s experience lends itself to supporting clients in setting strategies for longer-term development or collaboration projects as well as applying process engineering principles to contracting in order to enhance supply chain management.
She has particular expertise and almost 20 years’ experience of dealing with the business critical issue of data protection compliance. This includes guiding clients through handling personal data breach situations, project managing disclosures required under subject access requests, drafting the specific requirements of data processing agreements and advising on available mechanisms for ensuring compliant international data transfers.
Emma’s experience includes supporting clients in the following areas:
- Preparing standard form documents for businesses, for example standard terms of sale, standard terms of purchase, confidentiality agreements, software licence terms and services agreements;
- Drafting documentation for more bespoke arrangements such as outsourcing agreements, framework supply agreements, data sharing agreements and IT procurements;
- Reviewing terms provided by a third party in order to give clients a view on the level of risk posed, or in advance of more detailed negotiations;
- Assisting with contract negotiations, including negotiating on behalf of clients and providing behind the scenes support for negotiations carried out by clients;
- Advising on new products and services, including advice on the contractual arrangements which need to be put in place to support the offering, IP protection, the terms on which the product or service is made available to end users and associated data protection issues;
- Advising on data protection issues, including carrying out data protection audits, advising on subject access requests and data breaches and drafting data processing and data sharing agreements;
- Advising on agreements with international aspects such as international supply, distribution and agency agreements.
Emma has been described as "an excellent lawyer with a very pragmatic approach"..."responsive, easy to deal with and very committed to getting the best for her clients". Another client commented that “Emma responded quickly, was very understanding of our business demands and was clear and reassuring with her advice.”
Emma is a Non-Executive Director of Unlimited Theatre, a theatre group; she also serves as a member of the panel of financial, legal and media experts who independently support and advise Screen Yorkshire on the Yorkshire Content Fund (YCF), a public-private investment fund for the TV, film, video games and digital sectors in Yorkshire and Humber.