Our CSR efforts
At Shulmans we recognise the importance of CSR and the role it has to play within our business and the wider community. We have a CSR committee which has representatives from all over the business who meet on a monthly basis to organise year-round activities for everyone to get involved in.
Examples of activities we have taken part in include:
- Leeds Legal Education Week - for five days Shulmans go back to school to visit primary schools in deprived areas.
- Shine Project – Shulmans colleagues work with the Shine Project to mentor 12 young women from the inner South Leeds area looking for employment.
- The Big Change Project – we are working with the Big Change Project to get involved in volunteering projects to help those on the streets in Leeds city centre.
- Social Mobility Foundation – we support the Social Mobility Foundation by hosting events for them such as the launch of their Aspiring Professionals Programme and workshops, the charity works to make a practical improvement in social mobility for young people from low-income backgrounds.
Our colleagues are also doing their bit on an individual basis. Many of them are involved in mentoring, or doing pro-bono work for various not-for-profit and charitable organisations.
Our 'Charity of the Year'
This year, our chosen charity is Martin House. The hospice was opened in 1987 and aims to provide family-led care for children and young people with life-limiting conditions.
Our fundraising efforts throughout the year consist of many activities including:
- A clothes drop day, during which clothes are collected to be either sold in charity shops or distributed in poorer countries
- A charity ball for colleagues and their families
- Cake sales and tombola’s
- Taking part in events such as the Yorkshire Three Peaks, Total Warrior and Leeds Santa Dash
Throughout the year, we also hold a dress-down day every last Friday of the month, for a voluntary contribution from colleagues for the benefit of our chosen charity.
Articles about our work