Helen is an experienced lawyer who advises businesses on commercial arrangements, and in relation to IT, IP and data protection issues.
Helen focuses on non-contentious work, including drafting and negotiating commercial and IT contracts, advising on technology issues, and advising on the protection and exploitation of intellectual property rights.
In addition, Helen has a particular interest in data protection issues, including advising on international data transfers, complex data sharing agreements and joint controller relationships, data breaches and providing legal support to data protection officers.
Helen’s experience includes advising on the following:
- Preparing standard form documents for businesses, for example standard terms of sale, standard terms of purchase, confidentiality agreements, software licence terms and services agreements;
- Drafting documentation for more bespoke arrangements such as outsourcing agreements, framework supply agreements, data sharing agreements and IT procurements;
- Reviewing terms provided by a third party in order to give clients a view on the level of risk posed, or in advance of more detailed negotiations;
- Assisting with contract negotiations, including negotiating on behalf of clients and providing behind the scenes support for negotiations carried out by clients;
- Advising on new products and services, including advice on the contractual arrangements which need to be put in place to support the offering, IP protection, the terms on which the product or service is made available to end users and associated data protection issues;
- Advising on data protection issues, including carrying out data protection audits, advising on subject access requests and data breaches and drafting data processing and data sharing agreements;
- Advising on agreements with international aspects such as international supply, distribution and agency agreements.
“A really excellent technical lawyer”, Chambers & Partners describes Helen as "very good and pragmatic - she tries to find out what you're trying to achieve, points out the no-go areas and tells you where there is flexibility".
“I think she struck a really good balance between making sure our Terms and Conditions were specific to us as well as offering her expertise about what she considered best practice - overall this meant I felt I was understood and also in safe hands.” – Tonica CRM and Insight Limited
Helen is a member of the Society for Computers and Law.